Re: Foxlee Gum Process

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 06/24/04-12:02:34 PM Z

I am guessing, but I don't think the non-exposed gelatin is washed off in
the first development.

I think the glycerin used is probably fat/oil-based glycerin, the acid
breaks it up so that it binds better with the exposed gelatin. During second
development/soaking, the unexposed gelatin absorbed water, and the water
expel the oil-based glycerin, so the "ink" was released.

Basically similar concept has been used in lithography and certain steps of
other printmaking methods.

Dave S