Re: Foxlee Gum Process

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/24/04-04:30:33 AM Z

Chris,
This is quite similar to Marion's 1873 (Phot News 17:242) observation.
described by Galinsky in 1930 (Biochemical Journal 24: 1706-1715) that
"if a dichromated gelatin film which had become insoluble by exposure to
light under a negative were placed in contact with a similar but
unexposed film and the two were squeezed together under pressure, the
gelatin in contact with the exposed gelatin became insoluble after 8-10
hours and a print of the image was obtained. It was concluded that once
action was set up by light in a dichromated gelatin film, this could
induce the same change in gelatin placed in contact with it, without
exposure to light.... The present writer attempted to reproduce this
change in the absence of any mechanical influence, and found that no
such alteration occurred."

She exposed dichromated gelatin until maximum insolubility had been
produced, and then added a gelatin coating and left the whole in the
dark for 24 hours, then for two weeks, and then four weeks, and found
by analysis that there was no change in the added gelatin regardless of
the length of time it stayed in contact with the exposed gelatin. She
concluded that a more probable explanation for Marion's observation was
that the squeezing caused the insoluble material to impregnate the
soluble gelatin in contact with it, thus making it more difficult to
dissolve, although there was no actual change in the added gelatin
itself.

Katharine