Re: Gum Tri-Color Yellow

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 06/27/04-02:20:33 PM Z

Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> Katherine,
>
> How can you test the "color mix" without color separation negatives?

I was just looking at how the colors behave with each other, not running
a formal test; I was simply curious what the PV19 would look like in
combination with other colors. And I did say after all that my little
trial doesn't prove anything. But I've printed a great lot of tricolor
in my gum printing career and have never seen this brown tone before.
That Mark got it with PV19 and I got it with PV19 suggests to me that
maybe there's something about the PV19. It could be that it doesn't
produce a deep enough magenta, that's certainly true of the PV19 that I
used, and that could explain why the three colors together at saturation
come out brown instead of black. That's one possibility, that may
explain my results but not necessarily Tom's. Another is that there's
something weird in the combination of the PV19 and the PY110. But
something about this combination with the PV19 didn't, at least in this
one little trial, print like the usual tricolor colors usually print in
combination..

Getting the right color balance isn't as difficult as one might think,
in the ordinary course of printing tricolor; if you use a saturated
medium yellow, a saturated medium red, and a saturated medium blue, you
should get a good color balance without a lot of tinkering around..At
least that's been true in my experience. So I'm not inclined to treat
color balance as something very precious and fragile.
Katharine