Re: Gravure tissue (long)

From: jack reisland ^lt;reislandj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: 03/07/04-01:42:27 PM Z

Richard,

Craig (to whom you addressed your questions) would be better able to answer your
questions, but would like to put in my two cents. The particular color is not
really important, as long as it is not black. As the plate etches in the ferric
chloride the copper turns black, so the gelatine must be a color that makes the
process easy to see. It also helps to be able to read the image on the plate
after the laydown and development, so it has to be dark enough to stand out from
the copper background. Other than that, the color doesn't matter, but some shade
of red or brown seems to fit the requirements well.
   When you refer to the thickness of the tissue, I assume that you are referring
to the thickness of the gelatine layer? I will be interested in hearing Craig's
reply, but I would think that the thickness of the gelatine layer would make a
great deal of difference. As the gelatine blocks and transmits the ferric during
etching, a too thick layer would slow down the etch, particularly in the heavier
areas that correspond to the highlights of the image. By the time the highlight
were bitten, the shadows would be all blown out by undercutting the aquatint.
   Ideally, if all goes well, a properly etched plate should need little or no
retouching before printing. There is, in my experience, a bit of a difference of
opinion on this point. Artists, with a background in intaglio, find plate
reworking to be fine, and even look forward to the possibility of manipulating
the image on the plate. Others, who, like myself, approach photogravure as a
photographic process, find the need to rework the plate to be indicative of some
failure in the process.
  Finally, I am looking forward to what you come up with. On one hand, you will
have the ability to improve on the only gravure tissue available, but on the
other hand, I suspect that a lot of photogravurists out there have only used
Autotype, and if your new tissue varies too much in working characteristics (i.e.
exposure times, ferric concentrations, etc.), it may cause a deal of confusion. I
suppose some one like Craig could work out the differences, and write up a new
set of procedures, as all of the literature available today is based on Autotype.

Best Regards, Jack Reisland