RE: Digital Carbon Negatives

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 03/07/04-05:33:28 PM Z

Hi Michael,

> I am planning on doing carbon prints from both digital and pyro
developed
> negatives this fall. I am wondering if anyone has done side-by-side
> comparisons to the pyro color-balance formula Keith is using, and an
> actual
> pyro stained neg.
>
> Just curious.
>
> Did we meet at APIS?
>
> :)

No Michael, I don't think that we did meet, I was very low key this year
and not very out going that week since I was still grieving over the
loss of my Norwegian Wood cat in May. :(

When you use the phrase pyro generically I'm not clear what developer
you are using. Assuming that your 'pyro' negs have the proper contrast
index then they should work fine for carbon. If you mean PMK pyro than I
would recommend not using it at all for any process used with UV
printing, since the B+F levels required for proper contrast levels
usually gets excessive.
And PMK stain is too effective at blocking UV light causing
extraordinarily long print times. According to Sandy King, PMK developed
film to the proper contrast for carbon have very high levels of B+F.

I know Sandy King has been quite successful making carbon prints using
digital negatives produced by an inkjet printer. If you have not tried
making alternative prints using inkjet negatives then you are in store
for quite a surprise as they can print very fast. Contrast control is
achieved through adjustment to the digi neg contrast rather than
introducing a contrast agent of one sort or another.

Specifically in the case of carbon printing with film based negatives
contrast can be controlled by adjusting the dichromate concentration or
as some printers do, by changing the proportion of gelatin to pigment
percentage. If you are purchasing your carbon tissue the latter method
of course isn't possible, so using a digi neg made be more desirable.
Carbon prints made from digi negs look very nice but they don't have
quite the presence of a print made from an original in camera negative,
although most viewers will never notice.

Perhaps our carbon experts can provide much more detailed information
and correct any mistakes I've made in my reply.

Best,

Don Bryant