Re: Charcoal Prints

From: Pam Niedermayer ^lt;pam@pinehill.com>
Date: 03/07/04-05:57:04 PM Z

I take it back, we do disagree; but only to the extent that your
definition of the benefits of hand-made just does not go far enough. In
short, it's not just the labor involved nor the uniqueness of a piece.

The kind of precision you mention means nothing when dealing with wood
that moves a lot as humidity levels vary; however it's fine when dealing
with fake wood/wood products that for the most part don't move. Besides,
it's not the precision I'm talking about, nor the lack of precision,
it's all about quality joinery for pieces that last centuries, and are
built to accommodate that movement. Dowels into round holes are not
quality joints. High quality is just not done in manufactured furniture,
regardless of the price; and the reason it's not done is that quality
joinery does not lend itself to machine processing, of whatever
precision. Think about this when your kitchen cabinet doors fall apart
or when that spiffy, expensive new entertainment center falls apart
before your eyes, from moisture seeping into the wood product edges or
the stub tenon in cope and stick joinery used for the door panels or ...

I don't know of another Pam Niedermayer. We don't know each other. Must
have been someone else.

Pam