Re: Charcoal Prints?

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 03/08/04-10:55:12 AM Z

The ones I saw were at the Societe Fraincaise de Photographie in Paris were
definitely labeled as Arvel prints. I was not familiar at that time with
Arvel and the next day brought the topic up at my visit to Atelier Fresson.
Jean-Francois smiled at went to the back and returned with an unopened pack
of Arvel paper with the Fresson name on the label. (I wonder what else is
in that back room?)

Puyo may have experimented with a variety of papers. The prints I saw were
smooth in tone, cool black and not a really great dmax. All were from what
appeared to be one shooting session of a couple of what appeared to be
society women in c.1900 period dress. It was not a comprehensive
collection. Christian Nze was with me and if he is lurking about can
confirm this.

I hope the Societe has revamped its security procedures. We were allowed in
the viewing room with backpacks, no search going in or out! No video or
anyone watching us. We could have taken out a dozen Demachy's if we had
wanted.

--Dick