Re: Fredricktype Direct Carbon print process

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 03/12/04-04:04:30 PM Z

temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

> John,
> John it is good to see you still banging away at the direct carbon process.

    Pete, So, the rumours were not true that you are seeking Spanish
nationality.........?

> There still seems to be a strong interest in this process

        Well, this is not surprising, is it, as so very few guys ( and gals)
have ever had an opportunity of trying it? Very little publicity. I only came
across this kind of work after about forty years of, dare I say, boring silver
gelatine factory made products. It has, of course, been sublimated along with
many other original systems by certain commercial factions for their own
interests. Then again, I feel we have only recently started recovery from the lull
in inovative art photography brought about by the other immediate matters of
dealing with World war two.

>I had a print on display in the recent Gold Street Gallery exhibition The
Print >Exposed. in Melbourne OZ and received a number of interested responses

           To much to hope, I suppose, that some of these responses might
have included approaches with cash in hand. If only the entrepreneurs would look
ahead to when the stock of work from the past hundred + fifty, or so, years
has been bought up and people in that upper echelon of investors will be asking
for remarkable prints done with rare processes from this present period.

>For those who may wish to try out my process here is the basic process --:

>The Fredricktype direct carbon process

        OK. Thanks.But would you consider making a version of your paper for
sale to those who do not have the skill or inclination to do all that work but
who would appreciate the facility of simply dipping to sensitize (as with the
'' F " process ) + etc., I have tried a similar system to this one you
describe with PVA and obtained pleasing results. I would recommend it to anyone
starting in Direct Carbon.
>The unique feature of this process is the
>method of sizing. I use a very weak coat of Dulux Matt white Emulsion
>paints. However any quality water based domestic wall paint will do I think
>it is called latex in the US.

           I have also tried dead flat white acrylic based spray undercoating
vehicle paint. Good results. Completely waterproof like the plastic sheet you
use for Fotempera. I noticed another spray, recently, in a motor paint
shop....." Polyester". I must try this altho my own I.C.I system does not require
the paper base to be impervious to water. Possibly, the opposite is the case as
I am using a gelatine mix as the substrate which needs to grab the support
paper.
            Hasta............ John - Photographist