Re: Gloy VISCOSITY?

From: pete ^lt;temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 03/15/04-06:31:03 AM Z

Judy,

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, pete wrote:
>
>> ... The British have been using gloy gum for a number of years to good
>> effect. Gloy is a PVA emulsion and is more viscous than gum and allows
>> for mechanical abrasive washing of procedures. Whereas the traditional
>> gum is far to tender and only natural development will do. The
>> Childrenšs PVA is even more viscous than gloy and will withstand a heavy

> Sorry, this is quite wrong... "PVA is more viscous than gum" is an
> unanchored absolute.

No need to be sorry as a creative personality I like my absolutes
unanchored. In a similar way I prefer a nightshirt to pyjamas.

>There are many PVAs and many gums,

There certainly are for instance polyvinyl acetate and polyvinyl alcohol

> For example, casein as colloid is often quite watery, seems not to have
> Any *viscosity* at all... yet its developing image almost DEMANDS spray,
> Brushing, or other abrasion. You CANNOT connect ability to abrade with raw
> Viscosity of the colloid. (I'm also not sure what you mean by viscosity
> anyway... thickness? If so, you can mix a thicker gum.... tho I wouldn't.
> I like a thinner gum.)

I am possibly in error talking in terms of traditional *viscosity* what I
really mean is the stickiness when we talk of a viscous mix. I think of a
thick sticky mix.
When you mix my Fredricktype emulsion. It holds far more pigment than a
normal gum mixture and therefore gives a very much sootier look to the image
you can see this effect on the following site. However the image is not
dark as the original but it does give the feel.

 http://www.goldstreetstudios.com.au/P-%20Exposed%202003%20Artists.htm

> As for the idea that "traditional gum" can only do "natural development"
> -- wrong again... Aside from the time-honoured gum manipulations of
> Dripping, pouring, spraying & sponging water, & brushing, ET al., I have
> Often developed a gum print with sawdust. Yes, a sawdust slurry. No big
> deal if you understand the operation -- expose harder and soak shorter.
> And/or use a higher ratio of dichromate to make a harder image.

This one really does make me laugh I have been reading lots of your emails
over many years esteeming the long soak development system time and time
again you have strongly denigrated. The time-honoured gum manipulations of
dripping, pouring, spraying & sponging water, & brushing, etc

Suddenly we have poacher turned gamekeeper the world spins!

Pete >;-->>

http://www.alternativephotography.com/artists/peter_fredrick.html
http://www.books.i12.com/parlour/index.html
http://www.books.i12.com/parlour/tempera.html