Re: Gloy VISCOSITY?

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/15/04-05:21:34 PM Z

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, pete wrote:
> > As for the idea that "traditional gum" can only do "natural development"
> > -- wrong again... Aside from the time-honoured gum manipulations of
> > Dripping, pouring, spraying & sponging water, & brushing, ET al., I have
> > Often developed a gum print with sawdust. Yes, a sawdust slurry. No big
> > deal if you understand the operation -- expose harder and soak shorter.
> > And/or use a higher ratio of dichromate to make a harder image.
>
> This one really does make me laugh I have been reading lots of your emails
> over many years esteeming the long soak development system time and time
> again you have strongly denigrated. The time-honoured gum manipulations of
> dripping, pouring, spraying & sponging water, & brushing, etc
>
> Suddenly we have poacher turned gamekeeper the world spins!

Pete darling, if I said it once I said it a hundred times, civilisation
depends on the ability to make distinctions. To put it nicely, you flunk
reading comprehension... Or to be more precise, you put words in my
mouth.

Just because I "esteem" key lime pie doesn't mean I "denigrate" orange
juice. And because I like to exploit gum's capacity to do delicate detail,
doesn't mean I have taken a vow of long soaks only -- although I have
found long soaks an excellent approach to one-coat gum in particular: You
can expose hard enough to keep the highlights, and develop long enough to
get the shadow detail.

Nor do I "strongly denigrate" the time-honoured gum manipulations of
dripping, pouring, spraying & sponging water, & brushing, etc. In fact I
recently mentioned my use of dahlia mister... and have probably written
about one drop at a time, drips from small sponge, etc. In fact if you
can find (without doctoring) me "strongly denigrating" development
controls as above..... I'll take you to dinner. Meanwhile, please try to
read more carefully.

I have of course said that scrubbing, whether with a plastic sponge, brush
or whatever, and/or brushing overall wipes out delicate detail in gum.
You disagree?

Oh, wait a minute -- isn't that "civilization" with a "z"?

Judy