Re: glutaraldehyde

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/16/04-03:27:31 PM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: glutaraldehyde
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:51:20 +0000

> Do you mean to say that it
> has to be pH adjusted in order to be useful,

That depends on the definition of what's useful. For sterilization,
the GTA solution has to be pH about 8, but at that pH, GTA polymerize
and becomes ineffective, at least for sterilization purpose.

At acidic pH, polymerization is greatly slowed down and shelf life
expanded.

What do you use it for?

> Also, the lowest strength Pelco has is 8%, but I
> assume it's only a matter of adding more water, right?

Right, but do it with care.
(What I meant is that if you buy more dilute stock, risk is also lowered.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie." (Bob Dylan 2000)