Re: glutaraldehyde

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/16/04-07:58:59 AM Z

Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
> Subject: Re: glutaraldehyde
> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:51:20 +0000
>
> > Do you mean to say that it
> > has to be pH adjusted in order to be useful,
>
> That depends on the definition of what's useful. For sterilization,
> the GTA solution has to be pH about 8, but at that pH, GTA polymerize
> and becomes ineffective, at least for sterilization purpose.

Ummm, so what you're saying is that this product that's marketed as a
sterilizing agent can't sterilize anything at the pH it's packaged at?
Brilliant!

This logic reminds me of something I read in the archives on the same
subject (glutaraldehyde) which said, if I remember right, that one
should use a plasticizer like glycerin to keep the gelatin from getting
brittle, but the glycerin diffuses out of the gelatin in wet processing
and the gelatin gets brittle anyway. Seems to me there's some obstacles
in the way of the alt-photo community embracing this material as a
gelatin hardener, but no doubt that's just me being difficult.

> What do you use it for?

As I said, I plan to use it (once) to test a point of intellectual
curiosity, and that's why I only need a tiny bit.

> > Also, the lowest strength Pelco has is 8%, but I
> > assume it's only a matter of adding more water, right?
>
> Right, but do it with care.

Thanks, I will.

kt