Hardening gelatin with formaldehyde

From: Dr. Bruce E. Kahn ^lt;bkahn@mail.isc.rit.edu>
Date: 03/18/04-02:51:02 AM Z

Just a few other points about using formaldehyde hardening of gelatin to
throw into the fray ...

In the conventional AgX photographic world (as opposed to alt),
formaldehyde hardening caused a number of other problems (other than the
ones discussed here). It is a reducing agent and can create fog, it's
volatility makes it hard to control, it reacts with magenta couplers
(definitely not an alt issue), and can cause afterhardening. This later
point may be important for those of you here. Basically, it means that you
can't stop it from doing it's thing. Even when you think that the
hardening is finished it can actually keep going. Overhardening is
bad! So if you are interested in doing alt for archival reasons, you
probably shouldn't use formaldehyde hardening of gelatin.

Just a few points from the "conventional" world!

And since we are getting more scientific and technical here (which I am
delighted, but very surprised to see), my references are "The Theory of the
Photographic Process" 4th Ed., by James, and "Introduction to Photographic
Theory" by Carroll, Higgins, and James, and references therein.

Bruce E. Kahn, Ph.D.
Imaging and Photographic Technology,
Materials Science and Engineering
Rochester Institute of Technology