Re: glutaraldehyde

From: T. E. Andersen ^lt;postlister@microscopica.com>
Date: 03/18/04-04:58:49 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> My tests also show, by the way, that when your size is TOO hard, you lose
> highlights because the gum layer tends to roll off. So the "right"
> treatment CANNOT be decided by a book or theory, ESPECIALLY one geared to
> silver gelatin emulsion.

More or less my point, too! I do not believe (nor have I said) that
silver practices can be used to advantage in all other processes!

> Meanwhile, Tom, there are prints that were hardened in formaldehyde that
> still look pristine after 100 years...

That's in fact exactly my point (and that's why I'm saying that the
safest thing is to stick with formalin)! I'm always sceptical when
changing a tried and tested practice. Nevertheless, if nobody deared
try, there would not be progress eighter... My only reason for wanting
to test glyoxal, is the supposed reduction in health risc.

Regards,

Tom Einar