Re: glutaraldehyde

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/17/04-09:34:14 PM Z

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, T. E. Andersen wrote:

> This may well be the case, but the mechanical durability of the very
> hardened films comes at a cost. If you want very hardened gelatin, you
> can get that even with formaldehyde, since even this cross-links to some
> extent (due to short-chain polymers, if I remember correctly).

To interject a note of practical observation into this barrage of
theory... I've found many times, especially in gum printing, that the
*theory* is theoretical and does NOT work that way in the event. I've
seen this almost to the point of comedy when folks extrapolate about
"findings" cited in Kosar re dichromates tested in carbon and apply them
to gum printing. It doesn't work that way.. I think it would be better to
rationalize the gum *findings* by dialing up the theory after the fact.

Equally important, I'm skeptical of *absolutes* about either
glutaraldehyde OR formaldehyde OR for that matter glyoxal and their effect
on gelatin on paper IN THE ABSTRACT -- that is, without citing specifics
of the handling. For instance my tests, really dumb, like chair caning, I
didn't know diddle about cross links or short-chains, but I tested the
same gelatin on the same paper with several different strengths and
lengths of hardener -- and found the results of weak v. strong, and long
v. short hardening as they affected staining (which is the object of
sizing) to be QUITE QUITE QUITE different.

I don't know any other way to test the effects of a hardener, tho maybe
there's a photomicrograph that shows crosslinks -- and if so, what does
that tell you -- it does NOT tell how it behaves with this or that on top
of it, soaked, scrubbed or boiled.

My tests also show, by the way, that when your size is TOO hard, you lose
highlights because the gum layer tends to roll off. So the "right"
treatment CANNOT be decided by a book or theory, ESPECIALLY one geared to
silver gelatin emulsion.

Meanwhile, Tom, there are prints that were hardened in formaldehyde that
still look pristine after 100 years... But a suggestion: 15cc of 40%
glyoxal in a liter of water did the best job, cleared best, tho the books
will tell you 25 cc. And beside all the other reasons for not putting the
hardener in the gelatin, I point out that then you can only use it one
time. When you've mixed a gallon of the stuff to get big prints covered,
it's nice to be able to keep it for a few days.

good luck,

Judy