Re: Hardening gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 03/19/04-03:32:24 AM Z

Katharine Thayer wrote:

> Pigmented gelatin has a particular look. Pigmented PVA has a different
> particular look. I don't find those looks beautiful or even interesting.
> It's only gum that interests me.

And (here's a speculation) I really do wonder if the particular limpid
depth of the unhardened gum is related to its solubility.

To be fair to chrome alum, it's true that as I add more chrome alum,
there is more of a hardening effect, and I probably mixed it too dilute
to start with, assuming that it would be similar to gelatin. (If I'm
reading Sandy's posts right, he hardens gelatin with a .2 % solution (2
grams chrome alum per liter of gelatin solution). The last mix I tried
was about 3% chrome alum to gum, and it looked promising as far as the
hardening effect, except that all the added water is changing the look.
kt