Re: silly paper wetting question

From: Clay ^lt;wcharmon@wt.net>
Date: 03/19/04-11:22:38 AM Z

I think it has to do with the amount of internal sizing. A paper full of
sizing cannot absorb enough water to sink. A paper with just surface sizing
will sink after the water makes it through the sizing layer and starts
filling the pore space.

FYI, when I am doing platinum printing, I use this characteristic of paper
to determine if I will let a paper just air dry under a fan or whether I
forced air dry it with a hairdryer. The 'sinkers' tend to get all mushy and
low Dmax unless you forced-air dry them, probably because the sensitizer is
sinking in too deeply. The 'floaters' do better if I just let them dry at
ambient temperature under a low velocity fan, which I think allows the
sensitizer to sink in a little deeper. I prefer the floaters in general.

Clay