Re: The Great Scanner debate - round one

From: James Young ^lt;jamiehy@tds.net>
Date: 03/21/04-01:39:42 PM Z

>Is the only reason the 4780 can not handle 8x10 is because of the light
>source? Is it possible to modify the light source to accomidate 8x10?

The problem is that if they write the software to only do up to 6x9
in transparency mode, then the
modification won't matter. I would want to see if you can do it
before spending a lot of time on it.
  I'm curious if anyone has used both the 3200 and the new 4780 and
how they feel the two scanners compare. I have the 3200 and find the
shadows tend to be pretty noisy, and sharpness is definitely an issue
beyond a certain point. I tend to use it with color negs. and it
works ok but I wouldn't mind a sharper scan. Also I do a lot of
panoramic camera negs where the images need to be stitched together
in the middle as they are longer than 9" (up to 70mm by 17") and find
when I turn the neg around I get a color and tone shift from one end
to another.
For the money the scanner works pretty well, but if the 4870 works a
bit better I might want to upgrade. Jamie Young in Madison