Re: The Great Scanner debate - round one

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 03/21/04-01:52:10 PM Z

One can purchase Kami fr the maker in LA but you need to purchase a
gallon and then there is the hazardous chemical shipping charge. I
believe one can go to a local digital photo place and most likely buy
about 16 fluid ounces from them. You can mount your neg/slide between
two sheets of thin glass and you are okay. There is info out there on
the web which is most likely possible to Google. It does not seem to be
a worry about the fluid sneaking around the edge of the platen glass.
Yet, I would try to seal that (myself) w/perhaps a very thing bead of
transparent silicone caulk and allow that to dry for a few days before
scanning again.
Jack Fulton

On Mar 21, 2004, at 11:41 AM, Jon Lybrook wrote:

> Interesting! Does anyone here recommend that? I'm interested in
> trying
> it but wouldn't want to mess up the scanner bed glass using something
> that
> was designed for another purpose....
>
> Jon
>

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Loris Medici wrote:
>
>> Apart Sandy's neat suggestion... I've read some people
>> are wet mounting their negative onto scanner glass
>> (using special fluids designed for drum scanners - I
>> remember them mentioning "Kami mounting fluid" ->
>> http://www.kami-produkte.de/english/sxl.html). They
>> say this way they can get rid of Newton rings, keep
>> the negative flat and most importantly have better
>> scans (due to mounting fluid somehow increasing
>> sharpness/contrast).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Loris.
>>
>> --- Carl Weese <cweese@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> John,
>>>
>>> No, the 4870 is 6x9 and handles 5x7 negs easily.
>>> That is, if you can figure
>>> out a way to hold the negs flat and at the same time
>>> avoid Newton
>>> rings.---Carl

You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket.
                                                        John Adams