Re: The Great Scanner debate - round one

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 03/21/04-05:07:10 PM Z

Jon:
        Dependent upon where you live, here is a site for the Aztek scanner
folks who believe their flatbed scanner is, simply, the best. And, it
may well be. You can also purchase the Kami fluid where you noted and
at a place in FL.
        You could just call them and I believe you'll get the info you wish.
        I have not actually done this but hope to 1/2-way soon. As I see it,
you take a sheet of high quality glass (you can purchase glass does not
have that green in it) and tape that or a piece of Mylar to your
flatbed platen. The platen should be glass, not plastic. Then put some
Kami fluid down (believe it or not, you could initially try this with a
slide or neg you do not care for and use lighter fluid .. of course,
one must be careful with flammable liquids), place your slide/neg in
that and sandwich with another piece of the same material.
        Hope this brings you a bit closer to realization. My understanding is
that one will notice a obvious improvement in quality working this way
w/a quality scanner such as the 3200 or 4870. The ideas behind all this
is to take a pretty good piece of equipment and improve it slightly. It
will not rival a very good scan but, gee, it does quite nicely thanks
very much.
        Jack Fulton

Love is all you need.
                    Beatles