Re: RES: The Great Scanner debate  - round one

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 03/22/04-10:06:42 AM Z

How many people are scanning graphic arts film? If they are developed for
continuous tone, would it not be most likely that the DMax would be lower than
when developed in lith developers? And, if developed for very high
contrast, then perhaps it is a moot point. Most scanners can distinguish between
black and white—you could do that with a "2 bit" scanner and it would be much
the same as scanning an imagesetter negative.

But going back to my original post on the capabilities of scanners as
represented by manufacturers. I think it is prudent not to take the numbers you see
in the advertisements as a representation of what practical density the
scanner can truly scan and produce useable image information without a lot of
noise.

Mark Nelson

In a message dated 3/22/04 9:08:27 AM, rs@silvergrain.org writes:

> From: Barry Kleider <bkleider@sihope.com>
> Subject: Re: RES: The Great Scanner debate  - round one
> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:33:26 -0600
>
> > How dense is graphic arts film???
> > ?
>
> It varies with processing, but you might want to find spec sheets
> for Kodak Ektagraphic HC (or Kodalith Ortho 6556 Type 3).
>
> These films also give decent continuous tone in dilute XTOL type
> developer, nice high contrast in D-11, and very hard image in classic
> lith developers.
>
> (But guess what, they are discontinued.)
>
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki
> "All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie." (Bob Dylan 2000)

Mark Nelson
Favorite Movie: Deja Vu of The Living Dead All Over Again