Re: yellow gelatin

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 03/23/04-08:01:43 AM Z

Judy,
     the old glyoxal is concentrated urine yellow, the gelatin is Knox, and
when I mix the glyoxal in the gelatin (25ml tho) it is definitely yellow.
However, I bet the alkaline thing is operative, because I gum printed with
well water always until moving down here, and I know I have a supersensitive
nose, but I can smell chlorine when the city water comes out of my faucets.
I have a pH meter and I can't find it (amazing that that is the case, since
I have all gum stuff in one measely room) but I'll have to measure my water.
     However, I remember my glyoxal being clearer. There's no way it would
become contaminated with anything because I carefully measure out amounts
with a test tube, never putting anything into the bottle. Bostick and
Sullivan glyoxal.
     But as I said, it works fine and doesn't seem to yellow the paper any
amount that would be noticeable or obnoxious.
     Yes, I came across some mentions of using a warm coating to "warm up" a
gum print...that'd be the last thing I would consider doing! If I wanted
that I could just let the dichromates build up in the print.
      Speaking of dichromate buildup, I remember Sil saying there was no
need to wash residual dichromate out of the print--it would not damage its
archivalness. With the lower dilution dichromate this is no longer much of
a problem for me, but I want to make sure that this is the case, that
dichromates do not "age" in a print, if left behind in trace amounts? I was
getting a batch of prints ready to frame and I ended up clearing them just
to be sure they were completely archival because I didn't want to chance it.
What do you all think?
Chris