Re: yellow gelatin

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 03/24/04-03:22:32 AM Z

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> But as I said, it works fine and doesn't seem to yellow the paper any
> amount that would be noticeable or obnoxious.

The good news is that, as I've mentioned, the yellowing can be avoided,
but the bad news is that it usually takes a while (at least IME) to show
up. Except for direct effects of an alkali you don't see it right away.

> Yes, I came across some mentions of using a warm coating to "warm up" a
> gum print...that'd be the last thing I would consider doing! If I wanted
> that I could just let the dichromates build up in the print.

They were putting an overall tone on the paper itself which you don't get
in a gum print unless you've been VERY bad... the "buildup of dichromates"
at least as I've seen it (though with sweet NYC water it's rare) is
usually brown and only in the *image.*

Sil said, BTW, that exposed residual dichromate was already oxidized and
so would harm the pigment... I would imagine there's some of it in any
print... at least the original pigment color and the exposed color aren't
exactly the same.

> dichromates do not "age" in a print, if left behind in trace amounts? I was
> getting a batch of prints ready to frame and I ended up clearing them just
> to be sure they were completely archival because I didn't want to chance it.
> What do you all think?

I doubt ALL can be cleared out -- if so, what's the color change from?

Judy