RE: Reversal processing for enlarged negatives

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 03/24/04-04:45:39 AM Z

Hi Liam, thanks for contributing!

Then this is not good for alt. process printing. What about KRST toning?
Will be KRST toned negastives suitable for alt. process printing? Will
KRST provide any advantage over Dektol / Bromphen or Multigrade print
developers (for redevelopment)? I liked Ryuji's point: "you will
redevelop more completely with KRST: tiny grains that't won't fog in
room light and won't develop in the second developing solution (say...
in Dektol and such developers), will be developed with the toner". What
will be your comments on this?

> I also tried D-19 + thiocyanate for first development, as per
> Kodak's insructions for reversal of Panatomic-X (for which
> D-19 without thiocyanate was recommended for the 2nd. dev.)
> Again, the exact details are a little hazy now, but I seem to
> recall that while thiocyanate made a useful difference when
> reversing camera films, it didn't confer any particular
> advantage on lith films. As a silver halide solvent,
> thiocyanate assists in achieving clear shadows, but lith film
> is so contrasty that it doesn't need this assistance as long
> as the exposure and development time are adequate. And I
> also found that lith film gave much better reversal negs than
> contone film.

My problems with lith negatives are: I see very ugly big black dots here
and there and general grain clumping in dense parts of the negative
(everytime) and I have high base fog (sometimes - I guess the high base
fog is caused by the fact I don't place a black sheet under the
negative). What can I do to have smoother tonality? (please note that I
use 35mm film - not medium format, so my enlargements are around 8x -
10x scale)

Thanks in advance,
Loris.