Re: Reversal processing for enlarged negatives

From: Editor P.O.V. Image Service ^lt;editor@p-o-v-image.com>
Date: 03/24/04-05:19:59 AM Z

Loris Medici wrote:

> My problems with lith negatives are: I see very ugly big black dots
> here and there and general grain clumping in dense parts of the
> negative (everytime) and I have high base fog (sometimes - I guess the
> high base fog is caused by the fact I don't place a black sheet under
> the negative). What can I do to have smoother tonality?

Loris,

Instead of using lith film, you may want to consider using TechPan
sheets with D19 + K Thiocyanate (or added NaS) as the first developer,
and D19 without K Thiocyanate (or NaS) as the second developer. That
combination gives a very lith-like final reversal image, BUT avoids the
grain clumping you are seeing. Part of that is simply an outgrowth of
greater consistency of distribution of the silver through the TechPan
emulsion (better quality control).

In any case, placing a black sheet beneath the negative would help
decrease both base fog and halation effects in the enlarged sheet.

Keith Krebs

"Just some guy," caretaker of the Multiverse's largest EPSON printer
User Community (highly recommended by Vogon Poets and MegaDodo
Publications), at:
and the Multiverse's largest Canon printer User Community at: