RE: Indirect toning with KRST

From: Liam Lawless ^lt;liam.lawless@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 03/25/04-10:28:55 PM Z

Hi Judy,

The effects I described would not occur with straight selenium toning;
it's because the prints were bleached first, though I've no idea what
chemical reaction is taking place. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say
that bromine/chlorine ions liberated during toning somehow reduce the
solubility of selenium in the solution and end up displacing
(precipitating) it.

I used to make up rather more T-55 at a time - probably 5 or 10 litres
for my own use, or 25 litres when the shop in London was selling it.
What (I think) I remember of the recipe is that it called for 150 g sod.
sulphite and 6 g selenium per litre, to be boiled until all the selenium
is dissolved. I used an old boiler thing that people used before
washing machines were invented (at the end of the garden!), and it did
take a couple of hours until all the black powder disappeared. (Boiling
selenium has a *nutty* smell which, of course, you shouldn't be
smelling.) Afterwards, 230 g (?) ammonium chloride was added per litre.
I used to find that not all the amm. chloride would dissolve, and so cut
it down to the maximum amount that would. (Probably some of these old
recipes referred to chemicals with different degrees of hydration to
what we get now, without explicitly saying so. Crystals containing more
water should be more soluble.)

I used to do some strange things with selenium, but for straight toning
it was fairly similar to KRST as far as I remember. But one major
difference - and the main reason I stopped using it - is that its
behaviour on Ilford Warmtone, a paper I use a lot, is very different.
T-55 at the normal 1+5 dilution had no visible effect until 25 or 30
minutes, when it would suddenly turn a bright purple-pink in a very
short space of time. I didn't like this pink, whereas KRST works
rapidly on Ilford WT and gives colours that I do like, plus split tones
if you want them.

Barium sulphide? Not a clue. But I'd guess that if it doesn't smell
the sulphide part is "locked up" in the compound and not available for
toning. Maybe it goes smelly when you dissolve it. Is it soluble?

Liam