Re: obscure arcane knowledge

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 03/26/04-09:43:15 PM Z

> I've used
> sharpies on loads of CDs and not had a problem either
> reading data, images or music.

My results as well. I use "Series No. 30000" black, Sharpie brand, "fine
point" permanent markers (not all that sharp) on the back of CD-Rs all the
time. On music CDs, I often write quite a lot. I have hundreds, maybe
even several thousand, the oldest of which are a bit over 6 years old now,
and I've seen no failures attributable to the marking.

There are some brands of discs, on the other hand, that have an alarming
failure rate whether marked or not. I've not had any problems with Maxell,
Sony, or Fuji. Several name brands are problematic, as well as nearly all
of the no-name or "store brand" CD-Rs. (I've noticed that many of the
problematic brands are scantily plated -- if you hold them to the light,
they are more transparent than good discs. I don't know if this is a
reliable indicator or not -- just an anecdotal observation.)

I've never tried CD-RWs.

Of course, YMMV.

Best regards,

etienne