Re: Hardening gelatin

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/30/04-06:57:25 PM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Hardening gelatin
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:47:45 +0000

> I guess I always thought that the conventional reason for the gelatin
> was to avoid pigment stain, and that the reason for the hardening was to
> make the gelatin less susceptible to moisture and insects. So I've just
> learned something new; that the hardening is considered necessary to
> avoid pigment stain. Since I don't ever have a problem with pigment
> stain, this is something I've not had to think about I guess.

Whoever made the claim "the conventional reason for the gelatin was to
avoid pigment stain" can provide the answer, but what's the
conventional temperature of dichromated gum coating? Unless this
solution is cold, it's plausible that the gum solution melts gelatin
and pigment goes into the gelatin layer.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie." (Bob Dylan 2000)