Re: Imacon dust

From: PhotoGecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 05/01/04-02:05:01 AM Z

Jack,

It's an open-air process. I don't have a solution short of creating a
dust-free environment--which would cost more than all my former wives
and children! --you know?

We develop in tanks using Pyro (or Rollo Pyro, or PMK, or ABC. . .
whatever fits). We dry the film in home-made tents made from plastic
garment bags with low-power hair driers and layered micro filters.
(You want the truth, right?) And it's a random result in terms of
dust. Some sets of film are relatively clean and clear. Others are
so fluffy that I could knit sweaters. Socks are somewhere in between.
And all of the various levels of dust happen in the same environment,
and often in the same time frame.

I dunno. It's a random process.

I've gone so far as to have a beaker of dilute Photo-Flow on hand to
dip film into and then wipe down before scanning. I've even dabbed
Photo-Flow solution on Filmwipes to swab negatives in the holder before
scanning. I've used compressed air cans.

Hell, I've used blowtorches and prayers!

It's a random process.

There's more I could say about this. . . . but then we'd be talking
about digital capture. And that IS a whole 'nother subject. I don't
want to go there tonight. I just can't.

;~>

Oy, vey.

Go easy,