Re: using powdered pigments in gum

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/04/04-05:27:17 AM Z

Jack Brubaker wrote:

> Dear list,
>

> Do those of you who make up gum-pigment solutions add any extra
> preservative. I have some thymol that I used in a gum solution that I made
> from dry gum. Should I put some of the thymol in the VARN gum next time? Any
> other thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Jack,
Dave or Keith can speak more to the VARN gum specifically, but I'll
just say more generally that the gums I've used don't seem to go bad
when mixed with color and kept a long time, and I don't use an extra
preservative for this. I have some seldom-used mixes that have been
sitting around for years that look and print like brand new whenever I
want to use them. Perhaps there was something in the stuff that got into
the pigment that acidified the gum too much? Just a thought,
Katharine