Re: Cyanotype

From: wrleigh@att.net
Date: 05/11/04-09:01:24 AM Z

I made several test prints with the coloring from 0,10,10,0 thru 0,50,50,0 in steps of 10. I found that with the higher values for M and Y, the print was impossibly contrasty. I had no mid-tones at all. Part of it might be the Lenox 100 I am using. I had very different values when I was using Fabbriano Classico, which I can't get any more. I'm finding the Lenox 100 is a bit softer in the details than I would normally like, so I may continue to seek out different papers.

Actually, what I did for the test prints was to take a step image from 0 to 100%, make multiple copies of it, and apply differnt Dmax curves to them from 0.5 to 1.5 (by 0.2), and I placed them all on a single 4x5 image. I then took that and applied different colorizing to it, and then printed them 4-up on 2 8 x 10 sheets. From that, I came up with the Dmax curve of 0.6 and coloring of 0,10,10,0 as giving me the best range of mid tones. By doing them all together, I was able to eliminate the variability of exposure and development.

Someone suggested a longer exposure. It might help for this image, but for some others, the exposure was dead on. A longer exposure was overall much too dark.

This image is one of a series I am printing of several Cape Cod lighthouses. I'll be having these in a show this weekend, so I'll see what the feedback is from non-photographers.

--
Bill Leigh
wrleigh@att.net