Re: Tanning theory of dichromated colloids (was gelatin

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 05/18/04-11:35:25 AM Z

"But I have the same question about this as about the statement in
Duncalf & Dunn. If you put the EDTA with Cr(VI) and it keeps the
crosslinking from happening, how do you know where the inhibition
occurs?"

Good question, I don't know the answer.

"The other observation, which shows that EDTA can dissolve
hardened PVA (...)."

Could it be the relatively high pH (EDTA being fairly basic)? Cr(III) is
said to require an acidic environment.

 "And this dye sensitization I think is the same thing that is referred to
in Kosar as "optical sensitization" which is what I asked someone to
explain to me a while back and got no answer. Can you explain quickly
how this works?"

I ignore what Kosar says about it. I do know however that as early
as 1892 Lippmann used a couple of dyes in connection with dichromated
cellulose and
dichromated albumin. I don't have much details about that though. Neuhauss,
another practitioner of Lippmann photography, made tests with dichromated
gelatin. He stated having accomplished good color balance by adding
erythrosin, glycinred and
pinachrome.

More recently, Jeff Blyth (Methylene blue sensitized dichromated gelatin
holograms: a new electron donor for improved photosensitivity, Applied
Optics, Vol 30, pp. 1598-1602, 1991) introduced a greatly improved
red-sensitive DCG system. The mechanism involves:
Red light is absorbed by the dye (methylene blue). The excited dye oxidizes
the electron donor (TMG). At the same time that electron donor recovers its
electrons from the dichromate which thus gets reduced to Cr(III).

Martin