Re: Water and gum coating

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@uslink.net>
Date: 05/18/04-07:42:38 PM Z

Hi Ryuji,
      The myth is in all gum books, passed along for generations--e.g. coat
paper in room light as it is not sensitive until dry, but dry it in the
dark, blah blah blah. I mean, I coat *and* dry my paper in room light, so it
doesn't make any difference to me one way or another, but all you have to do
is stick a wet coated paper under UV light for a brief moment to see that it
immediately exposes.
     I first read to the contrary in Kosar, and then came across the same in
Nadeau who pointed it out and also traced the history of the myth. Gassan
and a couple others also said it was not true, but infrequently is this
mentioned. I know Sandy has said that it is light sensitive but quite a bit
slower, with gelatin. I did not find it radically different in speed with
gum, but it would be so hard to test as you say (at what point is the layer
really wet to just damp). If you wanted to be sure the layer remained wet
it'd have to be a thick one and then that would affect speed, too, etc. etc.
Chris