Re: Pyrocat-HD postwashing staining phenomena

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 05/19/04-08:01:33 AM Z

Manuel,

Your description of the film sticking to the net
and causing a pattern is interesting. My own
testing of the amount of stain that is developed
during washing, which indicates very little,
would not have suggested anything like the
phenomenon you have encountered.

That said I am not sure how much help I can offer
you since I have not ever used the 3005 drum or
the net apparatus you describe. But here is what
I would do.

1. Load the film wet and pre-soak in regular tap
water, and for good measure you might add a
little carbonate to the water it to make it
alkaline. This will cause maximum swelling of the
gelatin and fast induction.

2. After development use an acetic acid bath to
make sure that you stop development action. It
could be that your wash water is alkaline with
the result being continuing developing action,
especially if for some reason your fixer is weak
or depleted. In other words, the pattern from the
net you describe could be a result of continuing
development, very slight but still enough to
cause a problem.

3. Remove the film from the drums after the
acetic stop bath and fix and wash them in a tray.
This is my procedure with all film that is
developed in tubes and trays and I have never
experienced any problem with streaking or
mottling.

Sandy King

This would be even more likely if your wash water is alkaline.