Re: Water and gum coating

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 05/20/04-01:18:48 AM Z

"... what I'm more interested in in the
future is not the exact structure of chromium in gum, but a printing
process that does not use silver or chromium or iron, and the process
that may be very slow but can use visible light instead of UV
light. Is there anything like that now? (kinda like the sensitizer for
screen printing but not quite)"

I guess a great many photopolymer system exist that may work in that sense.
E.g. acrylamide systems achieve speed levels somewhere between silver
halides and dichromates. In addition they can be spectrally sensitized:
erythrosin, rose bengal etc. for green and methylene blue for red exposures.
Adding PVA to the solution will provide sufficient protection from oxygen
(which inhibites radical polymerization).

You may try the formula introduced by Suzan Martin:

"PVA (10% solution in water.).........17.5ml
Erythrosine B (0.11g/100ml water).......4ml

Methylenediacrylamide ........................0.2g
Water remainder to make above up to 25ml

For red sensitive material use 4mg (or 4ml) of methylene blue dye (water
soluble, useful solution is 1g/1000ml) instead of the 4ml of Erythrosine B
solution."

Martin