Re: Carbons, gums and Pt/Pd on new site

From: Hans & Chia ^lt;chiahans@tripnet.se>
Date: 05/26/04-03:54:02 PM Z

Katharine,

What I mean with "backwards" is that you have to care of which color
and how much of it to take away. I expose 4 different coats and
depending on which color I want - for instance my read hair - I leave
the yellow and magenta color untouched during development and brush
most of the cyan color away.

>> The family images are from old b/w negs. The little girl with
>> necklace is Chia in the end of the 50's. No individual colors are
>> painted on the prints. I just used CMYK and one b/w neg. Some kind of
>> hand coloring but "backwards".
>

>This is intriguing; it sounds perhaps like what I do sometimes to add
>color to an area, or maybe not. (It was only the "backwards" not the
>picture itself, that made me think of it.) For example, in this picture
>
>http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/light.html
>
>I wanted to add some yellow-gold color to the light because the year I
>took that picture, I had been struck by how yellow sunlight looked to me
>when I first saw it after an especially sunless winter and spring, and I
>wanted to express that golden quality in the print. So in addition to
>the negatives I used for tone, I made another "negative" that was
>actually a positive, to lay down some faint gold color in the lighter
>areas between the trees.

See what you mean but don't think we work in the same way. However,
if I want to make a spottone color somewhere I use filmmasks (but not
for the family images). We have long, dark winters here so we can
really feel the feeling that your image express.

>Thanks for the opportunity to see more of your work. I think I still
>like the yellow backlit flower the best, the one that was in Historic
>Photographic Processes. It has such a lovely luminous quality to it.

Thanks a lot
H&C

--
Atelier Pictoform