Re: Carbons, gums and Pt/Pd on new site

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 05/26/04-04:02:30 AM Z

Hans & Chia wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks to all for your comments both on this list and off list. We
> will check further why it doesn't work. At home we have an old eMac
> for internet, and with Explorer 5.0 it works as it should. It also
> worked with Explorer 6 and Netscape 6 when we made the site. Would be
> glad to hear which browsers you are using when it does not work.

Netscape 4.08 works fine!

> The family images are from old b/w negs. The little girl with
> necklace is Chia in the end of the 50's. No individual colors are
> painted on the prints. I just used CMYK and one b/w neg. Some kind of
> hand coloring but "backwards".

This is intriguing; it sounds perhaps like what I do sometimes to add
color to an area, or maybe not. (It was only the "backwards" not the
picture itself, that made me think of it.) For example, in this picture

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/light.html

I wanted to add some yellow-gold color to the light because the year I
took that picture, I had been struck by how yellow sunlight looked to me
when I first saw it after an especially sunless winter and spring, and I
wanted to express that golden quality in the print. So in addition to
the negatives I used for tone, I made another "negative" that was
actually a positive, to lay down some faint gold color in the lighter
areas between the trees.

Thanks for the opportunity to see more of your work. I think I still
like the yellow backlit flower the best, the one that was in Historic
Photographic Processes. It has such a lovely luminous quality to it.
Katharine Thayer