Re: Everclear Alcohol and Gum

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 05/27/04-04:20:08 PM Z

From: Tom Ferguson <tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: Everclear Alcohol and Gum
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:37:20 -0700

> I think I will work with cheap vodka for a while. I've always really
> hated vodka taste, so won't be tempted to imbibe while working ;-(

Did you consider mixing Bloody Mary? The traditional recipe says it
should be shaken but you could use magnetic stirrer instead, and use a
graduated cylinder or a volumetric pipette instead of a
jigger. Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces could be measured with a
Mohr pipette or micropipette. Drink should be served in a 250ml Pyrex
beaker. (Actually, there are mugs that are basically a beaker with
a glass handle attached.)

> Now, if I could just find a good photographic reason to keep a stock of
> good German dark beer in the darkroom.........

Budweiser (I call it Budwater) and the like could be used as a
photographic stop bath with lots of bubbles. In my darkroom, I keep
Guiness for spotting my polysulfide toned prints, Belhaven for sepia
toned prints, and Anchor Liberty for photographic inspiration.
(Actually I drink Guiness the most -- with deepest respect to William
Gosset, whose work any probability theorists know.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.