Re: Building PS curves for alternative processes with the InkjetCompanion

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 05/28/04-08:05:24 AM Z

With the 2000P There is not one single correlation but many depending
on the exact color of the pigmented ink that is deposited ion the
OHP, and this depends very much on the exact settings of the printer.
For example, there is a significant difference in density range and
Dmax when printing a greyscale file of a step tablet when all of the
setting are the same but the media type.

Here is what I found in measuring two different negatives. All of the
settings were the same for printing these negatives except for the
selected media. For one the media was glossy paper, for the other it
was matte.

First One

           0% 99% 100%.

Visual .11 1.74 2.17
UV .24 2.54 2.99

Second One

          0% 99% 100%.

Visual .09 3.37 4.05
UV .24 3.54 3.73

What you can immediately realize from these figures is, 1) with the
pigmented inks of the Epson 2000P you get plenty of density for
printing with alternative process, even those requiring very high
contrast negatives, 2) the curve in the highlights is very critical
given the difference in density between 99% and 100%, and 3) it is
very important to always use the same printer settings if you expect
to have any consistency in your negatives.

Sandy King