Re: MIS UT inks on transparent media

From: Hans & Chia ^lt;chiahans@tripnet.se>
Date: 11/01/04-05:13:03 PM Z

Hi Kees,

Very interesting Quad setup.
We are using the hex UT1 (eboni), Epson 7500, for
B/W printing mostly on Photorag.
When our 2000p (Epson ink) gave up, we loaded an
Epson 5500 with UT1 (Photo K) for neg printing.
Works great for gum etc (low DR negs) but not for
pt/pd, a little black-ink-banding.
We are now planing to try the pyro-ink-neg but
due to the price of Epson Ink we thought it could
be possible to use MIS UC variant for the 2100
printer.
So the question is if the MIS color ink works as well as their UT ink.

Are you satisfied with QTR (2.0)?
We hoped we could have used it for both b/w printing and negs.
We gave up after several days of editing curves.
HW calibration no problem, linearization with Eye One no problem.
Think it's the dither algoritms from the Gimp driver.
We tried several different settings (dithering,
media, resolution, fine tuning curves) nothing
helped.
There were always some kind of strange grittiness
and we could never get the same
smothness/sharpness as with well edited Roark
curves.
A very good RIP is StudioPrint but a little expensive.

Best from
Hans &Chia

--
Atelier Pictoform