Re: MIS UT inks on transparent media

From: Kees Brandenburg ^lt;ctb@zeelandnet.nl>
Date: 11/02/04-04:13:14 AM Z

Hi Hans and Chia

>We are now planing to try the pyro-ink-neg but due to the price of
>Epson Ink we thought it could be possible to use MIS UC variant for
>the 2100 printer.
>So the question is if the MIS color ink works as well as their UT ink.

Just after sending my post I reread yours' and understood you where
actually asking about the color inkset. I have the MIS (perpetual)
archival color inkset (pigment) in an epson 1200 and this is
definitively a no go for transparent media like copyjet.

>Are you satisfied with QTR (2.0)?

Yes very much. I started at a very early stage with QTR (beta 1) and
made curves and linearizations with the help of my old X-Rite 310X
densitometer. No grittiness here and better results than the PiezoBW
plugin I used before with Cone and MIS FS inks. The roark curves I
never tried.

I leave out the (photo)black when printing (gum)negatives. This can
be done by making a QTR curve that disables the K ink output. With
the black ink in there are density jumps in the deep dark grey and
black region of the negative that are very difficult to linearize.
This is where the black and grey inks behave different in transmitted
and reflective light. Using only 3 greys the behavour is much more
even in transmitted light.

kees