RE: CMYK separations on Adobe Photoshop

From: Keith Gerling ^lt;Keith@gumphoto.com>
Date: 11/03/04-11:44:17 AM Z

I've been in and out of state campaigning, so I haven't followed this
thread. But as a person who uses both CMYK and RGB separations, I have to
say I find your observations curious. Specifically, your statement "because
it makes no sense to me in terms of photography". Were you using GCR or
UCR? It would make a big difference in how "sensible" it would look. I'm
sorry if this has already been discussed.

I would never suggest you change your procedure, but I have to say that my
perception is entirely different. I "see" in CMYK, and the RGB-derived
negatives always look strange to me. If I don't label them, sometimes I
can't even figure out which is which. CMYK seems more naturally because it
was designed to do exactly what we are doing: to enable a process to apply
layers of pigment in separate steps. I think it has everything to do with
gum printing. IMO. I use RGB and CMYK and they both work fine.

Keith