Re: CMYK separations on Adobe Photoshop

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 11/03/04-02:41:48 AM Z

Keith Gerling wrote:

  Were you using GCR or
> UCR? It would make a big difference in how "sensible" it would look. I'm
> sorry if this has already been discussed.

The discussion was about the default Photoshop CMYK space, which uses
GCR, which alters color information more than UCR does; UCR removes
color only in neutral areas, whereas GCR removes color throughout the
image. The CMYK separations I showed were made from this default CMYK
space.

> I would never suggest you change your procedure, but I have to say that my
> perception is entirely different. I "see" in CMYK, and the RGB-derived
> negatives always look strange to me.

Yes, you did miss something by not following the entire thread: I've
already said more than once that to those who are used to working in
CMYK, I'm sure the CMYK separations make sense in a way they don't make
sense to me, and that I am not saying that I think everyone should use
RGB. To quote myself: "I prefer the RGB negatives; others may prefer
CMYK; I don't think there's a right or wrong to this."
kt