Re: Beginner Question: Digital Negative to Silver On Variable Contrast Paper

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 11/06/04-05:16:57 PM Z

Michael:
        Working on RC paper w/out filters is theoretically grade #2.
        The negative you'd print on the backlit film should do well @ that
setting.
        Or, you can fiddle w/the curves.
        I've not made one for RV variable contrast myself but assume you would
be
able to further adjust during the printing process by working with
filters in addition to the 'perfected' negative. But, the idea for that
neg, rather than just make a print, is the adjustments of dodging and
burning, raising the contrast in certain areas, and other aspects
necessary to a perhaps multi-filter print with burning & dodging. The
hope w/the digital neg is to make it right the first time and all
adjustments are created in Photoshop so it will print nicely on the #2
aspect of the paper.
        Too, further adjustments can be thought of in terms of changing
developer dilution or time.
Jack