Re: Beginner Question: Digital Negative to Silver On Variable Contrast Paper

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 11/06/04-08:38:52 PM Z

Ding. A light just went on in my head. Unfortunately it's on a dimmer...Thank you. I forgot that VC prints as a 2 grade with no filter. I thought that if I started indexing different colors (shades of yellow-magenta) to different contrast areas on the neg I could manipulate how it printed that way. What madness. I would have created a moving target from a stationary one....(I think).
Would thinning out my D-76 1:1 to 1:3 start to decrease the slope of my paper's contrast curve? The problem I'm having now is that my test step-wedge prints have all the tonal range jammed on the dense end (the inkiest part) of the negative. e.g. I'm printing a step wedge that goes from 0 to 100 per cent in 2 step block increments on transparency media. My VC paper's tonal range almost all falls between 4 and 16 per cent with the rest of the scale printing black. When I chart my data and create a curve it comes out looking more like a boomerang rather than nice "S". A very short toe a brutal straight line than runs away to the top, makes a right turn, then a looong shoulder. This is printing with just black ink or CMYK component black. I think I'll start adding the red/orange and see how that helps. I may have some scraps of rubylith still kicking around from my graphic arts days I could take a colour read off of it. Rubylith was the one way to guarantee complete saturation when prepping material for offset.