RE: RC paper longevity

From: joachim oppenheimer ^lt;joachim2@optonline.net>
Date: 11/06/04-10:51:07 PM Z

I think we are in essential agreement: fiber based is superior and we are
arguing about degree of superiority. I can discount my own experiences and
judgment as I may be faulted for possible procedural inadequacies, but I
recall at least one confirmatory study on the subject in my files I could
ferret out with time-consuming effort. In regard to a sample of own
experience, I published a book in 1990 with 32 photos where I had used RC
paper, properly fixed and well washed and subsequently well stored. Six
months ago, in anticipation of a second edition I examined these photos and
they showed some of the expected deterioration after about 12 years in dark
storage. Similarly stored fiber based prints in the same environment (some
for years longer than the RC prints) have been fine. While this does not
qualify as a controlled study, I am satisfied that RC loses out over time.
Would I use RC again? Yes, for this purpose - but not for exhibition or on
my walls. Joachim