RC paper longevity

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 11/06/04-08:42:26 PM Z

        Joachim's assessment of RC paper photographic prints is not quite
correct. however, fiber based paper is better for longer term and
physical beauty.
        Properly exposed, processed and washed, the standard longevity is
about 75 years. i write this after having received this past week the
"Draft Photo Policy" from the "National Register" and "National
Historic Landmarks Survey" as I do a little bit of photography in this
context.
        In this draft report it states: "Any type of black-and-white
photographic print expected to last seventy-five years or longer before
showing signs of fading, discoloration, or other forms of deterioration
will be accepted. This standard approximates the minimum expected
longevity of black-and-white photographs printed on resin-coated (RC)
paper, which the National Register and National Historic Landmarks
Survey have accepted since the early 1980's".
        They further state that digital images meeting the seventy-five yar
standard will be accepted. In addition, they say no chromogenic image
on paper meets the standard though implying further technology may
change that.
Jack Fulton