Re: POP process

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 11/08/04-07:52:21 PM Z

From: Loris Medici <loris_medici@mynet.com>
Subject: Re: POP process
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:37:15 +0200

> I don't know about POP but before I started to tone Vandykes in
> gold, I can say that I never experienced any image fading during
> fixation of untoned images (or my observation talent is very
> poor)... and I was using Christopher James' recommendation of fixing
> in 2% anhydrous sodium thiosulfate for not more than 1 minute - do
> you think this is far from being enough? (FWIW, please note that I
> always develop my Vandykes in 2% citric acid - I use plain water
> only for the final wash after toning/fixing).

I don't have a close working knowledge of Van Dyke process but I think
the difference you mentioned comes from differences in the size of
individual particles of metallic silver. Those image forming silver
in printing out process is really tiny. (In developing out process,
those tiny silver is chemically amplified several billion times to
make grains that you can only see in a decent microscope... not those
you see in grain focusers.)