Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 11/09/04-07:23:03 PM Z

Candace,
    I feel for you...
     Formaldehyde is 37% solution of paraformaldehyde powder. You can get
it from Tri Ess Sciences in Burbank CA (800-274-6910) and mix your own
solution. I think you still have to pay a hazard charge. If they no longer
send it out, that's news to me, because I got mine there not tooooo terribly
long ago when I was lith printing.
     You could possibly rush order it.
     Until then I suggest you try another hardener--rush order glyoxal from
Bostick, or no hardener if you are using Fabriano Artistico. Jerry's
Artarama sends it out really quickly, if that is an option, and they are in
NC not too far away from you. At $2.70 a sheet it's a steal (i think that is
the price but I am too lazy to check my catalog).
     I know nothing about glyoxal over formal, but maybe you'll discover a
new thing.
     You could also just brush on unhardened gelatin between coats for a
stop gap measure, or even rub it on with a cloth as they used to do in days
of old.
     Let us know what you discover.
Chris