Re: Help with what I believe is a hardening issue

From: T. E. Andersen ^lt;postlister@microscopica.com>
Date: 11/10/04-08:43:29 AM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Candace,
> I feel for you...
> Formaldehyde is 37% solution of paraformaldehyde powder. You can
> get it from Tri Ess Sciences in Burbank CA (800-274-6910) and mix your
> own solution.

This is not the case!

Formaldehyde is a gas. Formalin is an aqueous solution of about 37%
formaldehyde, with the addition of up to 15% methanol, and sometimes
other additives as well.

A pure solution of paraformaldehyde is very unstable. It will suffer
quickly from oxidation (see Ryujis and my posting on that). After a
fairly short time it will also start to polymerize, due to the lowered
pH following the formation of formic acid.

I use it for histology, and it is made fresh for each use. Depending on
the application, it will keep from a day or two, up to a week. It is NOT
RECOMMENDED to make the solution at home. It requires heating to 70*C,
while adding sodium hydroxide. I can testify that the fumes from hot
formaldehyde solution are vicious! Unless you have the proper equipment
and skills, DON'T DO IT!

Best regards,

Tom Einar